Sunday, July 1, 2012

Vilcabamba (day 1)

Sunday 1/7 - Vilcabamba (day 1)
 

The 'Guide du Routard' (famous french touristic guide book for backpackers) wrote:
Alors là, on se croirait vraiment au paradis! Cette bourgade, située à 48km au sud de Loja, perchée a 1850m, est un lieu magique. Il règne ici une atmosphère incomparable. La nature est plus douce et plus verte, le climat plus clément. Dès qu'on arrive, on a envie de poser son sac et de rester quelque temps. Son nom signifie: 'Valée Sacrée' en quecha ...



Indeed it looks like that, at least the internet seems to work better than ever.  That's what I noticed yesterday evening when arriving at this hostel.



Vilcabamba is mountain village.  It is famous for the longevity of inhabitants, its tranquility, the illegal hallucinogenic San Pero cactus juice, and for the surrounding nature. The highest mountain is called 'Mandango' that looks like a sleeping Inka.  I want to climb that mountain.

Here there are a lot of gringos.  I found out that one thousand 'alternatives' from Europese and North American origin add to the five thousand local inhabitants. These neo-hippies are attracted by the specific 'energy' radiated by this place.
Consequently most of the shops and restaurants have their signs in Spanish and English.
It is not difficult to distinguish who is who is who. Apart from the skin color and the language spoken, the clothes worn are a reliable indicator.
This place is also famous for the good micro climate, but today must be the exception. It was rather cold and sometimes raining. I hope that will improve tomorrow as I booked a horse riding tour.

Cafe on the main square.

.Life on the main square.

Life on the main square.

Garage sale.




No comments:

Post a Comment

nederlands welkom - français bienvenu - anche italiano